Sunday, October 13, 2013

Brussels Are the New Kale, and how to organize your entire life in seven days


I am a list-maker. When I'm checking things off, everything in my little world runs like a well-oiled machine. But sometimes I revert away from the list, into what Justin calls "the funk." A lack of planning leads me astray to time-suckers such as Buzzfeed, Real Housewives of New Jersey Blogs and Teen Mom 3 (is it true that rodeo girl is pregnant agian?!).

I have decided this week I will burst out of the funk in full force, with the help of my Google Calendar. This week is planned to a tee, so if you need me, just ask, and I'll add you to my calendar view.
Lisa's world for the week of 10-13 to 10-18


Menu planning is a big one for me. If I don't plan what I'm making, I end up ordering pizza, and my weekly farmer's market finds spoil in the fridge.  Trashing produce that seven days ago was a glorious find from the South Anchorage Farmers Market feels like a crime to me. Like the Rempel Farms family will chase me down in their jean skirts, and lock me up in a prison where you are forced to eat bleached white bread and drink orange juice from concentrate- or even worse- grape soda. 

Speaking of prison, Brehan and Justin have got me hooked on Orange is the New Black. It's basically what would happen if one of us went to jail. Lead character Piper is a 30-something-year-old who has to serve 15 months in the slammer because ten years ago she transported drug money.  A lot of jokes stem from her "white girl problems" in the slammer. Including her typical Whole Foods grocery hull, now replaced with prison food. Makes me appreciate my freedom, and easy access to kambucha, fancy dark chocolate, and locally grown beets at the South Side Farmers Market.

This week marked the last outdoor market. The last harvest yielded lots of squash, pumpkins & brussels sprouts. 

Have you ever seen brussels sprouts straight from the farm? They grow out of this huge burley veggie stick and you need to "shuck" off the sprouts. 


The best part about the shucking is the loose leaves that fall from the brussels, which make the best chips you have ever tasted.



Take a break from kale, or save it for your smoothy.

Savor these little crunchies on a lazy Sunday while you binge watch orange is the new black. 

 Here's how to prepare:

Brussels Are the New Kale Chips

-The first couple leaves off each brussels sprout
-TBL EVOO
-salt & pepper
-lemon wedge


Preheat oven to 415. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Take the leaves and toss with EVOO and s&p. Spread evenly across lined baking sheet, and bake for 6-8 minutes. Spritz with juice of a lemon wedge and serve up!



XOXO

-Lisa




No comments:

Post a Comment